Music at Christ Church
Music within the Curriculum at Christ Church
At Christ Church we are excited to be using the Charanga Musical School Scheme. This offers a 'child-led' approach to musical learning which is practical and exploratory.
We share the Charanga philosophy that music education should be fun and engaging for all concerned, and that every child is a born musician. We believe that music is like magic and that it has a role to play in every aspect of all of our lives, wherever and whoever we are.
Every year group has weekly lessons throughout the year and will share their learning at different performance points.
National Curriculum Aims for Music
Key Stage 1
Pupils should be taught to:
- use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the interrelated dimensions of music
- Pupils should be taught to sing and play musically with increasing confidence and control. They should develop an understanding of musical composition, organising and manipulating ideas within musical structures and reproducing sounds from aural memory.
Key Stage 2
Pupils should be taught to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians develop an understanding of the history of music.
ENRICHING THE CURRICULUM
Christ Church Choir
Our KS2 school choir is fun, welcoming and accessible to all. The choir rehearses weekly during lunchtimes and enjoys performing both in school and for the wider community.
Private Instrument Lessons
We have a number of peripatetic teachers who visit our school to offer music tuition. We have a great relationship with our music tutors and children who have instrument lessons are always invited to show the school community what they have learnt either by playing in our Family Collective Worship or at other performance times across the year e.g. The Christ Church Arts Festival.
We currently offer guitar, violin, piano and woodwind lessons.
This year we have also introduced Rocksteady who deliver in-school rock and pop band lessons. Our bands include children from across the school from Reception to Year 6.
If your child is interested in learning and instrument or joining a Rocksteady band, please speak to someone in the office for more details or click here to go to our Musical Instrument Lessons page.
Rocksteady Concert - February 2023
This was the first concert from our Rock Bands and a chance for us all to enjoy what they had been learning. They Rocked!